On the first day of Christmas, it might be a bit disappointing to have your true love hand you a partridge sitting in a pear tree. What are you supposed to do with that? If we’re being honest, this true love of yours has terrible taste in gifts—none of the 12 presents are very useful at all.
Greythorn might not be your one true love, but we do love seeing and helping you thrive in your career. That’s why our gift to you this holiday season is the 12 Days of Christmas Career Advice—one thing you can do or learn every day from now until Christmas to make sure that 2016 is your best professional year ever.
1. On the first day of Christmas, Greythorn gave to me… a trustworthy recruiter.
One of the most important things you can do for yourself is to connect with a recruiter you can trust. Unfortunately, not everyone in this field will always have your best interests at heart. Luckily, we created a guide to help you pick the right recruiter for your career.
2. On the second day of Christmas, Greythorn gave to me... advice on getting a great compensation package.
How do you know what kind of salary you should be getting? What perks are available if you ask? Technical Recruiter Evan McCoy shared his insight on the WTIA blog--because knowledge is power when it comes to the job hunt.
3. On the third day of Christmas, Greythorn gave to me... an underused method of networking.
In 2016, you might want to take Account Executive Mike Edward's advice and start volunteering. It helps your career in three important ways, which he outlines in this LinkedIn article.
4. On the fourth day of Christmas, Greythorn gave to me... a primer on taxes.
Okay, so this is about as exciting as three French hens, but much more useful. If you're considering consulting or taking a job where your boss offers you a W2 or a 1099, you need to understand the tax implications. Here are the basics to get you started.
5. On the fifth day of Christmas, Greythorn gave to me... a mini career coaching session.
When it comes to making career choices, sometimes you just need some help asking yourself the right questions. Learn how to ask the right questions and take the right chances in the New Year.
6. On the sixth day of Christmas, Greythorn gave to me... communication advice.
The way you speak and write is important--no matter how much you know or how much experience you have, you need to be able to clearly communicate for people to benefit. That's why we've provided a quick rundown of how to improve your communication in the workplace.
7. On the seventh day of Christmas, Greythorn gave to me... tips on snagging the attention of recruiters and hiring managers.
The internet has been around long enough now that it's a given hiring managers and recruiters are going to Google you--but what makes you stand out in the search results as a good candidate? Here's what to focus on when assessing and updating your online footprint.
8. On the eighth day of Christmas, Greythorn gave to me... tips on choosing the right kind of company.
Day eight is for you, data scientists. Many companies don't fully understand data science, so they really don't know what kind of data scientist they need. Recruiting Manager Mary Kypreos explains how you can better understand if you'll be a good fit for the work at a specific organization.
9. On the ninth day of Christmas, Greythorn gave to me... pointers on professionalism.
Whether you're new to the career world, or an old hand who wants to brush up on the basics, it's never a bad idea to review the best practices of professionalism.
10. On the tenth day of Christmas, Greythorn gave to me... the reason you should tell a recruiter your current salary.
Why is this a career tip? Because understanding why recruiters ask about what you make now helps them ensure you'll be making more in your next job. Read the full explanation from two season recruiters.
11. On the eleventh day of Christmas, Greythorn gave to me...a guide to consulting.
Consulting can be an attractive--and lucrative--opportunity, but you need to know what you're getting into before jumping with both feet. Here are five points you need to consider before signing that contract.
12. On the twelfth day of Christmas, Greythorn gave to me... market reports for the healthcare IT and tech industries.
Our annual market reports share up-to-date research about average salary ranges, benefits packages, popular skills, etc. This information allows you to benchmark your own compensation and decide if there are new skill sets you may want to pursue--get your copy now.
Happy holidays, and here's to a prosperous and successful 2016!