Staying in High Demand!
If you’re currently Epic certified, then you can personally attest to the hard work and dedication or as some would say, “blood, sweat, and tears” that it took to obtain! As a permanent placement specialist that works exclusively with candidate working in informatics within hospital and health systems, I have learned vicariously from my candidates just how much is involved with obtaining certification. Most of those with Epic certifications worked full-time hours managing current responsibilities, deadlines as well as family/personal lives. So now you have your certification and you’re wondering, “how do I stay in high demand?”
1) If you’re a full-time employee and you’re given the opportunity to gain additional certifications, take advantage of every opportunity!
2) Increase areas of expertise within the application/s you are certified in. If you have never gone through a full-cycle implementation and you have the opportunity to join a team that will give you experience from start to finish, take it! If that is not an option, seek to learn a new skill that will not only enhance your knowledge; it will show progressive and increasing level of responsibilities within your role.
3) Always make sure that you do everything possible to complete your projects within deadline. It is better to communicate to the Project Manager or team lead that something is taking longer than expected so that they can seek additional resources and/or update timeline, if applicable.
4) Be an approachable team member! This may sound basic, but you’d be surprised how often moral can decrease and you can get a bad rap , even if it’s just a perception – be sure to you remember that there are a plethora of different personalities, skill level, and educational backgrounds and while not everyone may be as approachable as you, THAT WILL SET YOU APART and make you more marketable.
What Epic Certifications are in High Demand currently?
- Resolute: Hospital Billing/Professional Billing – having both of these certifications will open even more doors!
- ADT/Prelude, & Cadence – one of more of these certifications greatly increases your demand!
- ClinDoc/Orders – having both increases marketability!
I am seeing a trend toward revenue cycle and financial applications being in high demand. I have yet to hear form a client of ours that is NOT focused on revenue cycle and billing!
Ambulatory and HOD analyst are also areas with increased openings and many health systems are continuing to acquire new physician practices and clinics.
Stay tuned for my next blog about transition from a consultant to a full-time employee and vice versa!